The Post Office Directory Edinburgh and Leith 1911 -1912
Page 1124 PUBLIC DEPARTMENTS
Chief Constable’s Office, 1 Parliament Square.
Lost and Found property Department, 1st floor, 1 Parliament Square.
Criminal Investigation Department, 1a Parliament Square.
A or Central – Deputy Chief Constable’s Office, 1 Parliament Square; Charge Offices, 192 High Street, 144 Pleasance and 50 West Port.
B or Northern – Gayfield Square; Waverley Market; and 57 Abbeyhill.
C or Southern – 90 Causewayside, Canaan Lane, Morningside.
D or Western – Torphichen Place; Saunders Street, Stockbridge; Gorgie and Granton.
E or Eastern – Portobello and Piershill.
After the introduction of the Police Box System in 1933, the Divisions were reorganised again.
Central and Southern became A Division (The Southside). B Division (Gayfield) took in Granton. D Division became C Division (The West End). Leith, which had been part of Edinburgh since 2 November, 1920 as E Division, became D Division (Leith) including Piershill and Portobello.
E Division became the designation of the Traffic Department incorporating the Mounted section.
This system lasted up until 1975 when Edinburgh City Police became part of Lothian and Borders Police. Eventually, Edinburgh became one large division under Lothian and Borders Police.
Please scroll down to see the images:
Edinburgh City Police detachment Funeral of His Majesty King Edward VII 20 May 1910
Left to Right:
Back row: P.C’s J Gillespie (545), W Macdonald ((398), R Lyall (383), J Murray (75), W Lockie (574), J McLellan 211), J Harcus (136), J Knipe (222), D Beattie (53).
Centre row: P.C’s F Dow (Drill Instructor), D Valentine (284), P McFarlane (204), W. B. Muirhead (508), J Annand (273), D Speed (577), A Henderson (594), W. B. Donaldson (393), J Wilson (401).
Front row: Sgts. J Stuart, J Sim, Lieut. W. D. Paterson, Chief Constable Roderick Ross, Insp. J Bell, Sgts. D Laing, A Anderson.
(Note the 1903 medals and also Inspector Dow again in 1922 below.)
Standing L –R
PS 66 ‘B’ John Blair, PC 88 ‘A’ John Mackie, PC 79’A’ Colin Fraser Brown, PC 343 ‘C’ David Forman, PC 574’D’ William Lockie, PC 473 ‘B’ Alexander Henry, PC 504 ‘D’ William Wares, PS 61 ‘D’ William Thomas Uffendell, PC 580 ‘D’ William Gunn, PC 513 ‘D’ Alexander Latto, PC 281 ‘B’ James Gilchrist, Unknown, PC 270 ‘B’ William Stewart, PS 62 ‘D’ John Archibald, Unknown.
Sitting L –R
Unknown member of St Andrew’s Ambulance Corps, Unknown Superintendent of St Andrew’s Ambulance Corps, Unknown, Superintendent George Macauley, ‘D’ Division, Inspector Thomas Redpath, ‘D’ Division.
If you can identify any of the unknown men in the above picture, please contact the website.
To navigate around the site, please click on the links below.
To return to the Home Page, please click here.
To return to Scottish County Police Forces, please click here.
To return to Scottish City and Burgh Police Forces, please click here.
To return to Coatbridge Burgh Police, please click here.
To return to Edinburgh City Police, please click here.
To return to Hamilton Burgh Police, please click here.
To return to City of Glasgow Police, please click here.
To return to the Edinburgh City Police Gallery 2, please click here.
Toreturn to Lanarkshire Constabulary, please click here.
To return to the Leith Burgh Police Gallery, please click here.
To return to the other Forces that became Lothian and Borders Police Gallery, please click here.
To return to the 1903 medal, please click here.
To return to the 1911 medal, please click here.